Monday, August 22, 2011

Fun with Grass


Our preschool theme this week is In the Green Grass.  Not a theme I would come up with on my own, but it's been a fun one so far!  We went outside first thing this morning and felt the grass with our hands and bare feet.  It was wet and cold!  Then the kids picked some grass for their art project.  It was a very simple project...they just glued the grass on their construction paper any way they wished.  And surprisingly they enjoyed it!  Probably because it's something they've never done before.

Vann's making a picture frame with his grass...gluing it all around the sides.
Chayce was gluing his on piece by piece.

So, I've been homeschooling Vann for a month or so now...introducing a new subject every couple of weeks...easing both of us into it.  This week, we're full force...I added our last subject...history.  And what a fun one it's going to be!  

I've been spending a lot of time at the library since I decided to homeschool and this past week/weekend was no exception.  I got a couple of atlases (world, north america, united states), books about everything including maps and globes, the capital, the statue of liberty, the flag, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc.  I'm so excited to teach him all about it!

In case you're wondering what other subjects we're learning about, here they are...math, language arts, phonics/reading, writing, spelling/vocab, literature, geography, history and science.  Before it's all said and done, I want to also include spanish, piano, and art (about artists and art history...we do art projects everyday already).  I know it sounds like a lot.  But we don't do everything everyday.  Some subjects we do all 5 days, others we only do 2 days.  And we don't spend hours on each subject...more like 15-20 minutes...that's it.  If he's really into something, I just go with it and we may spend a bit longer on it, but for the most part it's 15-20 minutes.  I have a little schedule we try to follow, but what's great about homeschooling is that I can change it whenever and as many times a day/week/month that I want...I love it!  

So far it's working and both Vann and I love it.  He enjoys learning new things and I hope it stays that way for a long time.  But if there's ever a day where he's just not feeling it...then we'll just play hooky and catch up the next day :)  

I'm ready for some mommy relaxation time tonight!  I had a busy day with the kiddos today.  My one daycare family came back full time this week and along with big sister came her new little brother so, we have a baby in the house again!  It was a fun day, but I'm definitely exhausted.  

How was your Monday??

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that homeschooling is going so well! Do Chayce or the other little ones have an attention span for the 15-20 minutes?

    I bet that little baby is going to super jump your baby fever! :)

    My Monday was productive...plus I just went running with Hannah at the gym - so that is a plus!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!