Monday, March 3, 2014

Book reviews

Here are my latest reads…



'Sickened' by Julie Gregory…This is a true story about a little girl who suffered from Munchausen by proxy.  MBP is a hidden and dangerous form of child abuse where the caregiver, usually the mother, invents or induces symptoms in her child because she craves the attention from the doctors.  Many MBP children die…so sad.  I had never heard of MBP before.  And being someone who does not rush to the doctor for every little ailment, I had a hard time reading about a mother who gets her child poked and proded for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  I mean she was begging to have them cut Julie open and perform heart surgery, but she didn't have a heart condition.  Just crazy.  It was definitely an eye opener for me and I'm so glad Julie lived to tell her story.  





'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner…This book is about a group of boys that get sent to the Glade. And the Glade is surrounded by a maze.  They must live there till they either die or they figure out a way out.  If you like 'The Hunger Games' you'll like this book.  It's a good read!  I'm interested to see what happens next.  I just saw they made it into a movie…comes out in September of this year…so that's exciting.  I'm waiting for the second book of this trilogy to become available at the library…looking forward to reading that one next.  





'If I Stay' by Gayle Forman…This book is about Mia and how her life changed in the blink of an eye.  She must decide whether to stay alive and live a life without her immediate family or to go and live without her other loves, her remaining family, friends, Adam and music.  It was a book about family, love, friends, music and death…it was good!  I've never read a book by this author before and I really liked it.  I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.  She has a sequel to this one and a few others as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!