Thursday, October 8, 2015

Solar System

We started our unit on the Solar System this week.  I am so so into this stuff!  Yesterday I said, 'I want to be an astronomer when I grow up!'  Chayce said, 'Uh Mom you are already old.'  Very funny Chaycers, very funny.  I don't want to go into space or anything crazy like that.  But I do want to learn more about it...it's so unimaginably ginormous.  I like it.  And I love that I get to dive into it with the boys.  Our unit is a little over 2 months long so hopefully I'll get my fix!  

Coloring his planets.
They worked together to
make a solar system.


They've been interested in this stuff for years now.  Just look at our book...it's literally falling apart it's been read so many times!  Here's a link to a similar book by my fav National Geographic.  The one we have was from a school Scholastic flyer back when Vann was in preschool. 

We got a new book this year...it's pretty sweet...First Space Encyclopedia.  It's full of great pictures and lots of cool info.  It'll get much use over the next few months!


Their solar system!  The planets they colored were templates from the curriculum we're using.  And Pluto is included, but they know it's a dwarf planet.  


Chayce's galaxy using chalk pastels.  

Vann's galaxy.

I'm really excited about the next 2 months.  I plan to take the boys to the Adler Planetarium downtown to explore and learn even more.  I think it will be a fun time!  What about you...do you find space as cool as I do?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!