Sunday, May 22, 2016

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

The boys looove pancakes for breakfast.  And these pumpkin pancakes are super delish!  They are fluffy and thick and oh so good!  
IMG_6296
My little pancake helper!
IMG_6308
He thinks they taste good!
IMG_6317
Look how big they are! (This is a double batch.)









Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
Adapted from this recipe
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice (you can add 1/2 tsp if you'd like)
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg (I use freshly grated nutmeg, you can add 1/4 tsp if you'd like)
  • 1 1/4 cups pureed pumpkin (you can puree it yourself, but a can of pumpkin works just great!)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (coconut oil would be great too)
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (I've used regular milk as well)
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg together in a large bowl.  Then whisk the pumpkin, honey, vanilla, egg, oil and milk together in a medium bowl...make sure it's mixed together well.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently until combined.  The batter is very thick.
I like to use my electric skillet to cook my pancakes, but a griddle works well too.  I heat it up to about 350-375 degrees.  Once hot, I spray with a little olive oil and then using a 1/4 cup measuring spoon I pour the batter onto the skillet.  I can fit 4-5 pancakes on my skillet at one time.  Cook the pancakes until they get a little bubbly around the edges and then flip them over and cook for a few more minutes till they are cooked through.
My kids love these pancakes drizzled with a little pure maple syrup or honey or even just by themselves.  The have a ton of flavor which I love!  I like to make a double batch and then freeze some for later.  Next time you're in the mood for pancakes try these out!
This is how I freeze my pancakes.  I put a piece of parchment paper between each one.
This is how I freeze my pancakes. I put a piece of parchment paper between each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!