Saturday, May 21, 2016

Turkey Parmesan Meatloaf & Spaghetti Sauce

My family loves meatloaf.  A lot.  And this meatloaf is one of their most favs!  I remember the first time I made this, about a year ago, and oh my gosh the kids and I ate the entire loaf!  Since then I always make two loaves as it makes great leftovers.  Give it a shot, it's really yummy! 
IMG_8311
Not the best pic, I really need to
work on my photo skills lol.  
So, first things first.  The sauce.  I have been making my own sauce for a few years now.  I don't even remember the last time I bought a jar from the store...it's been a long time.  It took me awhile to 'master' my sauce.  Lots of just okay pots until one day after reading many many recipes online I discovered two secret ingredients...cracked fennel and sugar.  Mmm!
DSC_0100
The Sauce
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 sweet onion diced
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
  • 3 TBSP white sugar
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp cracked fennel
  • 1 tsp salt
  • fresh ground black pepper
So here's whatcha do.  Saute your onion and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes till the onion gets a little translucent.  Then add the rest of your ingredients...tomatoes, spices, all of it!  Stir it up, cover and let simmer on low for an hour.  You will want to stir it every so often during that time.  Honestly, it really only needs to cook for 30 minutes so, if you're short on time keep that in mind.  But I prefer to let it simmer for an hour or so...so the flavors really combine.
This sauce can be made ahead and stored in the fridge till you need it.  It also freezes super well!  I like to make a double batch so, I have some for dinner and then some to freeze for another day.
DSC_0102
Next up the meatloaf!
Adapted from this recipe
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/4 cup finely diced sweet onion
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 cup of the sauce from above :)
  • 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
Combine the turkey, egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Parm cheese in a big bowl.  Mix well.  I like to get in there with my hands so it gets incorporated well.  Then put the mixture into a loaf pan that's been spritzed with olive oil.  Press it down into the corners and flatten it out a bit.  Top with 3/4 cup of sauce using the recipe from above.  Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Take it out and top with your shredded white cheddar cheese and pop back in the oven for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is all melty.  Then enjoy!!
DSC_0108
We love to eat this with a side of any green veggie (broccoli, green beans, asparagus or a side salad are just a few ideas).  It'd be yummy with mashed potatoes too, but my boys don't like them...I know crazy right?!  Let me know if you make it and how your fam likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!