Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday

We had another busy and fun filled day.  Our craft today was making a fruity necklace.  I tied a plastic needle to a piece of string and the kids made a necklace with fruity cheerios.  Great activity for fine motor skills.  And the best part...they could eat it when they were done!  


Vann's fruity necklace


Even Molly thought is was delish!  When we came home after soccer I found remnants of a piece of wet string on the kitchen floor...she had eaten the necklace...string and all...naughty dog! 


Here's a picture of the super cute culprit!


We had soccer again today...it's everyday for a week.  Vann seems to be enjoying it.  I'm anxious to see how much he has learned when the week is up.


The boys in the car getting ready to leave for soccer.

Vann's in the grey shirt, grey shorts and black socks...can you find him?!

Chayce playing his ds 

Taking a water break...it was so hot and humid today!

While the little kids napped, I baked a bread out of my new cookbook The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book.  I tried the Strawberry bread...it was yummy!  And super easy to make.  Here's the recipe...


Strawberry Bread

  • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tsp freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 tsp grated orange zest
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray loaf pan with baking spray.   In a blender, puree the strawberries, oil, water, applesauce, orange juice, and orange zest until smooth.  In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.  Pour the strawberry mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just combined.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.  Cool before slicing.  

That's the original recipe.  I did make two changes...I was out of regular applesauce, but I had strawberry applesauce so, I used that instead...I figured it was strawberry bread so, it wouldn't do any harm and it may make it taste better.  And the other change I made is my little secret to extra yumminess on sweet type breads...are you ready...when preparing the loaf pan, after you grease the bottom and sides (I use Crisco), I put 2 Tbsp of sugar in the pan and shake it around till covered, then I dump the excess off.  It adds just a touch of sweetness to the outside of the bread...yum!  This bread was another winner with the kids!

Strawberry Bread
(that white stuff is the sugar...sometimes it doesn't all dissolve into the bread...still tastes good though!)

We got rained out of t-ball tonight...bummer.  So, the boys and I came back home and snuggled up on the couch because that's what you do when it rains, right?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!