Monday, July 18, 2011

Berry Muffins

I made some berry muffins this morning.  I followed the recipe exactly, unlike the gooseberry recipe from Saturday, and they turned out great!  

Mmmm...Berry Muffins!
Berry Muffins
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup soy or rice milk (I used soy)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted dairy-free margarine (I used oil)
  • 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen berries (I used 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 1/2 cup of the raspberries I got from the farmers market)
  • Granulated sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt...whisk together.  In a large bowl, mix milk, oil or margarine, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and vanilla with a spatula.  Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture and combine with the spatula.  Gently fold in the berries.  Divide the batter evenly into 12 prepared muffin cups.  Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 minutes.  (I only baked mine for 16 minutes and they were perfect.)

I love to make regular and mini muffins for the kids.  There's just something fun about popping a mini muffin into your mouth!  This recipe was supposed to make 12 regular muffins, but I made 8 regular and 12 mini muffins.  When I make muffins, I usually double the recipe and freeze a bunch for quick snacks for the kids.  This was my first time making this recipe so, from past experience, I knew I needed to try the recipe first before doubling it and realizing it's no good and then wasting even more ingredients.  But this recipe is a keeper so, next time I'll be doubling it and freezing some muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!