Friday, August 19, 2011

Jen's Homemade Granola

So, I've been playing with my homemade granola recipe for the past couple of weeks.  And I think I've finally found one that I love!  It's sweet, but not too sweet.  It's crunchy, but not break your teeth crunchy.  And after you get a little crunch, it becomes just the right amount of chewy.  And best of all...it stores great!  Ok, I know you're just dying for the recipe, right?!  Well, here ya go...


This is my favorite breakfast or snack!  Greek yogurt (you can't see it, but it's on the bottom under all that other yumminess!), granola, blueberries and strawberries.


Jen's Homemade Granola
Adapted from too many recipes to count!
  • 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 cup your favorite nuts chopped up (sunflower, peanuts, almonds, cashews, etc)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp oil (olive, vegetable, coconut, whatever you like!)


Mix oats, wheat germ, flaxseed, and nuts together in a large bowl.  Mix vanilla, cinnamon, honey, brown sugar and oil together in a small bowl.  Add wet ingredients to dry ones and mix well.  I even get in there with my hands to get it all incorporated.  


Spread on a cookie sheet lined with foil or a Silipat (if you've never used a Silipat, you should...it's amazing!).  Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.  


Let it cool, then store in an airtight container.  Once it's cool, you can mix in dried fruit if you wish, any kind will work, raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries, whatever.  I don't add dried fruit to mine because I mainly eat it on yogurt with fresh berries.  But if I were just eating it as a snack, I'd definitely add dried fruit.  


Let me know if you try it and what you think!


Here's some pics of the kids doing their craft today...


Chayce is really into it...check out his tongue!
He's showing me his artwork
Vann's creating a masterpiece!
He's drawing a Mario world.
The kids' creations!


We're taking the boys to a baseball game tonight...it should be a lot of fun!  Hope you're all having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!