Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Sweet potato pancakes are a big hit in our house.  The boys and I love them!  And they're super easy to make.  Here's whatcha do...



Sweet Potato Pancakes
  • 1 cup pancake mix (you could obviously make your own, but to keep it super simple, use a mix)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Cooking spray (we use olive oil spray)
  • Pure maple syrup
  • Parchment paper (if you're planning on freezing some)
  • Gallon ziplock bags (if you're freezing some)
Whisk pancake mix, water, puree, cinnamon and vanilla together in a bowl.  Get your griddle sizzling (medium high heat) and spray with some cooking spray.  Add pancake batter to griddle, I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup that way all the pancakes are about the same size.  When the pancake gets bubbly on top (2-3 minutes), gently flip it.  Cook another 2-3 mintues and take it out.  It should be golden brown on both sides.  Top with your favorite syrup, ours is pure maple syrup...yum!

When I make pancakes, I always double or triple the batch so, I can freeze some.  Makes for a quick, easy, hot, yummy breakfast.  When I'm done cooking the pancakes, I let them cool.  While they're cooling, I get my parchment paper ready by cutting it up into squares.  


Once the pancakes are cool, I stack them with a square of parchment paper in between each one.  Then I pop them into a large ziplock bag and stick 'em in the freezer.  It's that easy! 



When I want to cook one up, I just take it out of the ziplock bag, stick it in the toaster and wait for it to pop.  Depending on your toaster setting, you may need to push it down a second time to get it totally thawed.  Then drizzle some syrup on and enjoy!

Next time you're craving pancakes for breakfast, try these...you won't be disappointed!  

2 comments:

  1. Those sounds really good....I love sweet potatoes! I'm going to have to try these for the kids :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!