We pulled out a bunch of Halloween stickers today and the kids created a picture. Here's some pics...
|Little Chaycers hard at work...notice all his stickers go on top of each other...|
|So proud of his creation!|
|Vann coloring a black sky|
|Now he's adding some candy corns|
We had chicken tortilla soup for dinner tonight. It was a big hit! Although I'm not sure why they call chicken tortilla soup when there are no tortillas in it, but whatever...it was still good. Here's the recipe...
|Chicken Tortilla Soup|
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from this recipe found on Allrecipes.com
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14 oz) chicken broth (feel free to add more or less depending on how soupy you like it)
- 1 can corn (you can use frozen too)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can white hominy (I didn't have any on hand, but will definitely add them next time!)
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
- cooked, shredded chicken...I used 1/2 a whole chicken
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- avocado (I didn't have an avocado either...would've been so good on it though!)
- shredded cheese (pepperjack would be awesome, but I used a taco blend...it's what we had)
Cook your chicken any way you like. I roasted a whole chicken in the oven today and then shredded it up to put in the soup. Next, saute the onions, red pepper and garlic in the olive oil and salt and pepper till onions are translucent and red pepper is semi-soft...not mushy. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, black beans, hominy, green chiles, chicken, chili powder, cumin, oregano and garlic powder. Simmer for 1/2 hour. Add lime juice and cilantro. Simmer another 15 minutes. Serve with crushed up tortilla chips, sour cream, avocados, shredded cheese, anything you like. Other toppings could include sliced black olives, chopped green onion, get creative! Another fun thing is to squeeze a little lime juice over your soup bowl right before you eat it...yum! Also, you can spice this soup up a bit more if you'd like. I kept ours at a mild level since the boys would be eating it, but it would be great spicier too.
I gotta tell ya...I love cumin and cilantro...love them!! I love cooking with them. They just smell and taste soooo good!
My new favorite show is on tonight...Revenge...can't wait! Hope your day was great!