Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Swimming lessons

I've had a busy week so far.  Lots of kiddos in and out of here the past few days!  The boys love it…always someone fun to play with.  

I signed the boys up for swimming lessons…they started two Saturday's ago.  They love them!  I got into it with Chayce's instructor on the first day.  It was my fault…I signed both of them up for the wrong level class.  I tried fixing it before lessons started through the park district and they told me just to tell the swimming manager lady on the first day of classes and she would fix it.  Well, she moved Vann into the next level up with no hesitation (he's now in level 2).   But when I asked her to switch Chayce (from advanced tiny tots into level 1), she wouldn't.  She said 'let's put him in the lower level and if his instructor thinks he can move up then we we'll move him up.'  Okay, that's fair I said.  

So, I communicate all of this to his instructor before he got in the water.  Then after his lesson was over I found her and asked her what she thought.  She said he wasn't ready to move up.  I asked her why she thought that.  She said 'because he's too small.'  That's when I lost it.  Mama bear came out.  I was pissed.  So, I let her have it…in a very nice way.  If she had said it was because he couldn't back float…fine.  He can't kick his legs the right way…fine.  He's too small…bullcaca.  So small people can't swim?  Gosh, just thinking about it gets me all fired up.  I basically critiqued everything she did in his lessons, which wasn't much by the way.  She only took him out to practice kicking his legs one time…one time.  He kicked his legs on the side.  Did arm circles while sitting on the side.  Sang a song and bounced in a circle.  Sat in a circle in the super shallow end and did I don't know what for 15 minutes (Chayce told me afterwards they were baking a cake…whatev).  He needs to be in the next level…that's all there is to it.  I'm so annoyed.  When we got in the car Chayce even said…she didn't teach me any swimming.  Sigh.  

Afterwards, I felt really bad for all I had said.  I dislike confrontation.  So, I apologized to his instructor and just asked that she consider moving him up in the next few lessons if she felt he was ready.  Then I told myself I needed to let it go.  As long as Chayce is having fun that's all that matters.  But I'm for sure gonna sign him up for another set of lessons when these are over...in the correct level.  

I finally took the boys to see the Lego Movie this past weekend.  They loved it!  It was pretty cute.  Vann already said he wants to buy it when it comes out on DVD.  Speaking of Legos…we did a few more lessons with our Lego education set.  We learned about wheels and axles and pulleys.  Fun stuff!  

And speaking of school…have you ever read 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'?  Vann and I are reading it right now.  It is like the hardest book ever to read.  It doesn't make any sense.  I don't like it at all.  I almost threw the towel in today and said 'hey let's just skip the book and watch the movie instead.'  But I didn't.  I don't want him thinking he can give up on things.  So, we'll finish the book…and then we'll watch the movie.  

Okay, I'm off to read my book now.  I'm reading 'The Maze Runner'…it's good so far!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!