Friday, March 25, 2016

Crockpot Black Beans

A few years ago I discovered how simple it is to make your own beans, like the ones from a bag.  And you don't even have to soak them!  This is huge for me as I always, always forget to soak them overnight.  The secret is your crock pot.  Put all the ingredients in, turn it on and voila!  In a few hours you'll have the most delicious blacks beans ever!  My whole family loves them.  And they make your house smell soooo good while they cook :)
photo 1
Rinsing my black beans.
photo 2
What things will look like just after you add all the ingredients.
photo 3
About five hours into cooking...they're looking good!
photo 4
They're ready to eat!

















Easy Crockpot Black Beans
  • one pound dried black beans
  • 32 oz chicken stock
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 onion diced up
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • juice of 1 lime (optional)
It's so super simple.  Rinse your beans, dice up your onion and mince your garlic.  Then put everything (all of the ingredients) into your crockpot and cook on high for 6-8 hours.  You'll want to give them a quick stir every few hours.  I also like to mash them up a bit with my Mix-n-Chop (a potato masher or even the back of a spoon works great too!)  This helps them thicken up a bit.  And that's it!  No need to remember to soak the beans overnight.  Get this started in the morning and you'll have delicious black beans by dinner time!  
Give them a try and let me know what you think!  PS...remember to take your bay leaves out before serving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!