Monday, March 7, 2016

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Banana Bread

I used to make this super yum cinnamon swirl banana bread.  I'm not gonna lie, the swirl and the crunchy sugary top was kinda the bomb.  But 1/3 cup of sugar for those two parts alone...that's a lot of sugar!  Not to mention there was a ton of sugar 'in' the bread itself.  So, I remade my favorite bread!  
Basically I just took out the sugary swirl, subbed a few of the ingredients for some healthier options and added in a few healthy ingredients as well (like Greek yogurt...I found I love baking with it!  It makes things soft and moist).  This remade version is still super yum.  I do miss the sugary swirl a tiny bit, but not enough to put it back in though! 
IMG_5694
I baked one to eat right away and one for the freezer!
IMG_5695
Yummy!!
Cinnamon Banana Bread
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 ripe bananas mashed
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  In large bowl, mash your bananas and then mix in the honey, oil, eggs, yogurt and vanilla. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  Pour the batter into a 9x5 inch bread pan sprayed with a bit of olive oil.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes until golden brown.
I love the cinnamon flavor in this bread.  And even though I think it's sweet enough, if you use super ripe bananas the bread is even a little sweeter.  The kids and I gobbled up an entire loaf in about a day and a half!  Let me know if you try it and how you like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!