Sunday, April 24, 2016

Yummy roasted beets

You may already know this, but I heart beets!  Like it's kind of crazy how much I love them.  And what's funny is that before a few months ago, I had never even had them before.  Boy was I missing out!
Now I eat them weekly.  I buy 4 big beets every week and I roast them all at once.  Then I keep them in my fridge to use throughout the week.  It works great!  I eat them at all times of the day...breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner...it doesn't matter.  I love them with eggs, on a salad, as a veggie with our dinner and back when I used to eat dairy I loved them on cottage cheese.  
IMG_7551
Mixing the beets with all the seasonings in a big bowl.
IMG_7554
Pour the beets onto a lined baking sheet.









Okay so here's what I do...
Roasted Beets
  • 4 large beets
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • a little salt and fresh ground black pepper
Cut the tops and roots off of your beets.  I buy mine without the tops and roots on them so, all I ever need to cut off is a little bit by where the tops were.  Then you're gonna peel your beets with a vegetable peeler.  Cut the beets into about 1 inch sized pieces.  First I cut them in half, then I slice them into 3 or 4 pieces and then I cut those slices into 4-7 pieces depending on how big they are.
Place your beets in a big bowl and add the olive oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.  Pour beets onto a large baking sheet lined with a Silpat (you could also use parchment paper).  Then roast in a 400 degree oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.  I know that seems like a long time, but I found that keeping them in there that long is what makes them sooo super yummy.  They get a little caramelization going on and they're the perfect softness.  Mmmm, I wish I had some right now.
You'll want to flip them with a spatula half way through or do a little shake, shake with your baking sheet to mix them up a bit.  And that's it!  Easy peasy right??  I always let them cool a bit and then I toss them in a container and store them in the fridge so I can eat them all week...or for a few days anyhow lol.
Yummy roasted beets!!
Yummy roasted beets!
If you've never tried beets before I encourage you to give these a shot.  And then let me know how you like them.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'd love to hear from you!